Spy Lab Classroom Transformation


                                                           


You mean it’s possible to make a scripted math lesson…. Fun?!?! YES!!! When Rock Your School day falls on the day of your formal observation, magic can still happen! I took a big risk and completed a room transformation during my form observation.


My students were on a mission to find our missing school mascot! We used the exact same math lesson that we would have been doing anyway, from a "scripted curriculum," but my coworkers and I put our heads together to add in a few key components:

🔍 Build suspense. I put "Missing Eagle" signs around the school the week leading up to our lesson. Even students in other classes were engaged and interested in finding out what was going on. On the day of the lesson, I put caution tape on my door. 

🔍 Decorate the room: black lights, white string (to look like lasers), and some Mission Impossible music from YouTube on loop go a long way!! Here are some links I used for inspiration: 

🔍 Make all the math problems in the lesson detective themed! Don’t change the numbers!!! Just make the content related to theme, and throw it all on a cute themed slideshow. Here is a copy of mine that you're welcome to use for inspiration.

🔍 Divide your students into groups and give them differentiated assignments for independent practice (easier problems for low learners, challenge problems or enrichment for high) in a “Top Secret” manila envelope.

🔍 Pick 6 popular adults around campus to be your suspects. Create clues that students receive when they solve problems to narrow down the suspects until they’ve found the culprit at the end. Not necessary (but so fun): I created a short video with clips from all the suspects and then the culprit at the end. Check it out at the end of our slideshow!

🔍 Be extra: We dressed in all black that day, with blazers to really give in to the drama. I scanned everyone's fingerprints on a free app (Secret Finger Protection Lock Scanner Prank Free) as they walked in to class to see if their access would be granted or denied. I also gave each student a badge with their group name on it. Students were allowed to do their work with an invisible ink pen. that they could keep after the lesson.

The base is simple, and now that I’ve done all the work for this one lesson, you better believe we’re doing it year after year! Check out the story highlight on our profile to get ALL the details and see videos and pictures from our spy lab. If you have any questions please feel free to message!! I'd love to help you pull this off in your classroom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glow Day!

March Madness Tournaments

Class Jobs